Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Glucose Screening tomorrow for Gestational Diabetes

I'm not sure why this test freaks me out so much.  I think it may be because I worked with a girl once who had gestational diabetes and had to eat a special diet and test herself every day. That seemed like a huge hassle. 

So, here I am, it's my turn for the test.  Here's what I'm in for:

How is the screening test done?



When you arrive for the test, you'll be given a sugar solution that contains 50 grams of glucose. The stuff tastes like a very sweet soda pop (it comes in cola, orange, or lime flavor), and you have to get all of it down in five minutes. Some centers keep it chilled or let you pour it over ice and drink it cold.

An hour later (bring a book or magazine!), your practitioner or a technician will take a blood sample from your arm to check your blood sugar level. The idea is to see how efficiently your body processes sugar. Results should be available in a few days.

If the reading is abnormal (too high), which happens 15 to 23 percent of the time, your practitioner will have you come back for a three-hour glucose tolerance test to see if you really do have gestational diabetes. The good news is that most women whose screening test shows elevated blood sugar don't turn out to have gestational diabetes.

So I have that to look forward to tomorrow. Other than this test, here's what happening with us...

My wardrobe has shrunk considerably.  If you'll recall last week's posts, I had to go shopping for my first batch of maternity clothes.  It was a successful trip! I got a few tops, two pairs of jeans, and a little bit of confidence back.  However, I'm still in need of a few more items.  I had a mini online Old Navy shopping spree the other night, so I'm patiently awaiting a UPS delivery any day now. 

Baby is very active..or is he/she? I don't know if it's because I'm use to the movement, been super busy and haven't noticed, or kiddlet is mellowing out, but I feel like I haven't felt as much as I should be lately.  I'll be asking Dr. M about this tomorrow.

Hormones are back! Weepy pregger lady was visiting on Monday.  I felt terrible.  Physically and emotionally.  I was trying to still wear some of my "regular" clothes - what a mistake.  I was so uncomfortable.  That led me down a wicked emotional downfall.  Then to top it off we got semi-bad news about a house we were interested in.  I actually started bawling at work.  I ended up leaving early for the day.  It wasn't good. 

But, I feel great again today.  Sun is out, I get to sleep in a little tomorrow, and a wholesaler is coming in today and bringing FREE lunch! Poor guy, he has no idea he gave his credit card information and free range ordering power to a pregnant lady. ha ha ha!

2 comments:

  1. Ah, the adventures of preggo lady! At least you can say it's never boring! Keeping my fingers crossed for you that you get good test results!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! So what you're saying is... I should come over for lunch tomorrow? Sure beats a PB&J sandwich!!!!!

    ReplyDelete